How to Fix Canon Printer in the Error State
Receiving an error is a normal part of a printing journey. Every printer operator has faced at least a couple of printer errors in their printing journey. However, when your printer suddenly stops working for the first time, it is natural to feel confused and irritated. We understand how frustrating this can be and we have created this guide to help you fix Canon printer in the error state.
Most of the times when you receive an error, it is because of some mistake during Canon printer installation. The chances of this are even more likely if you used an online Canon printer installation guide to setup your printer. But even if you made a mistake during the installation, you can fix it with the steps mentioned in this guide. Scroll below to learn more about what causes the error state and to learn how to fix it.
What is the cause of the Error State of a Canon printer?
Your Canon printer’s display can sometimes display the following message: “Canon printer is in Error state.” This message indicates that your Canon printer is facing difficulty in performing smooth operations due to some issues with the software or the hardware of the printer. Therefore, to resolve the error, you must first identify the cause of this error and then you must fix it. Some of the most common reasons why people face this error are listed below:
- Installation of incorrect printer drivers during Canon printer installation process.
- Installation of incorrect software or outdated files during Canon printer installation process.
- Errors with internet connectivity for wireless Canon printers.
- Errors with cable connections.
- Errors with the operating system.
The error state is more likely to occur if the softwares are outdated or if they are not compatible. Users who completed their installation using some third-party installation application can often face this problem. If you have used an online Canon printer installation guide to complete your installation in the past and you have downloaded some external driver installer, then that could be the reason why you are facing this error.
How to fix Canon Printer in Error State?
To resolve the cannon printer error state, you must fix the issues that are causing the error. To do so, you can try following the steps mentioned in this guide. With the help of the steps written below, you can not only resolve the issues that may have occurred during your Canon printer installation but you can also install the correct printer drivers from the official Canon website.
Follow the steps written below to fix Canon printer in error state:
Step 1: Check your printer’s hardware and cable connections
You must check your Canon printer’s hardware before you check the compatibility of the software that you downloaded while completing your online Canon printer installation. To check your printer’s hardware and connections, follow the steps written below:
- First, thoroughly check your Canon printer for any signs of physical damage. Make sure that your printer is in optimal state. Check the paper tray for any kind of obstruction and make sure that the paper tray is not jammed. Check the ink slots and ensure that there is ink.
- Now check the cables of your Canon printer. If you are using a wired printer, check the cable connection between your printer and your computer and make sure that the connection is not loose.
- Check the power cable of your printer for any signs of damage.
- You could also try to take a test print while your Canon printer is connected to power only. If your printer seems to be functioning while taking the test print, it means that there is no issue with the hardware.
If you have performed all these steps and the printer is still in error state, then follow the instructions mentioned in the next step.
Step 2: Restart your computer and your Canon printer
You should now try to restart your computer and your printer. To restart your computer:
- Close all the running tabs and windows on your computer.
- Go to the start menu and select the power button for more options.
- Now select “Restart.”
- Wait for your computer to shut down and reboot.
To restart your printer:
- Press the power button to turn your printer off.
● Now turn off the power switch and disconnect the power cable from the socket.
- Wait for a few minutes.
- Reconnect your power cable.
- Turn your printer ON.
If doing this too also does not fix your Canon printer’s error state, then try following the steps mentioned in the next step. In the next step you would be required to check the softwares and the drivers that you have previously installed during your online Canon printer installation. If those softwares are not compatible with your system, then you might have to download the correct Canon printer installation software from Canon’s website.
Step 3: Check the internet connection
To download the correct Canon printer installation software from Canon’s website, you would need a strong internet connection.
- Make sure that a strong internet network is available to you and that the network is not too congested.
- If you are using a wireless Canon printer, then make sure that both your computer and your printer are connected to the same network.
- Make sure that the signal strength is strong and that the network is stable.
- If the network is slow, then try switching your router off. Wait for a few minutes before turning it back on. Now check to see if the speed has increased or not.
Step 4: Check the Canon printer drivers
First, you must ensure that your Canon printer drivers are compatible with your system and are up-to-date. Or you can chose to re-install the printer drivers completely. Re-installation of the software is especially recommended if your Canon printer installation got disturbed during the last time. However, you must ensure that you delete the previous drivers before you re-install the new drivers. Only use the official Canon website to download the Canon printer installation software. If you don’t know how to do so, then you can follow the steps written in this short online Canon printer installation guide:
- Use your browser to go to Canon’s official website by typing “Canon website” in the search box and pressing enter. See the top search results and click on the official link to go to their website.
- Locate the “Downloads” option at the bottom of the home page.
- Type your model number and then locate the drivers and the installation software.
- Select the “Download” button.
- Now, install the file after it has been downloaded by following the on-screen instructions.
- Restart your PC and check to see if the error has been resolved.
If despite completing Canon printer installation again, you are unable to fix the error state, then you should try following the steps mentioned in the last step below.
Step 5: Ensure that you have the correct Canon printer drivers.
If you cannot seem to resolve your printer error state even after completing Canon printer installation and following all the steps mentioned above, then you should check your Windows software once to make sure that it is up-to-date. Sometimes a pending Windows update could be responsible for causing an error state. After following the steps mentioned above in our online Canon printer installation guide, follow these steps to resolve your Canon printer error state:
- Go to your Windows “Settings” application and select the “Update & Security.” .
- Then select “Windows Update” and check the status of your operating system.
- Check for updates.
- Let your Windows search the internet for any updates.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Restart your computer after the update has been installed. Check to see if the Canon printer error state can now be resolved.
This concludes our guide on how to resolve Canon printer error state.
With this guide we have tried to help you in resolving the error state in Canon printer with the help of a sequential process. If you have followed all the steps mentioned in our guide above then it is very likely that you would have been able to resolve your issue. Most of the times, the issue arises due to improper Canon printer installation but after performing an installation with the help of our online Canon printer installation guide, you would have been able to fix any issues that may have arisen due to improper setup. While completing the process you should ensure that you only download the most recent software packages for your Canon printer to avoid installing any outdated printer driver. If, however, you can still not resolve the issue then you should try contacting a technician or a printer repair expert. If you faced any difficulty while following the steps mentioned in our guide then you can write them to us. We would love to assist you further!