How to fix Canon printer?
Users often feel confused and frustrated when their printers just stop working. If you are using a Canon printer and it has stopped working then you should not worry. With the help of this detailed guide, we will help you to navigate through the troubleshooting process and resolve whatever issue is causing your Canon printer to not work.
Most of the times, your printer can stop working due to an improper or unsuccessful Canon printer installation. This could especially be the case if you have only recently installed your printer. To resolve the issue in this case, you would have to go through every step of your installation and make sure that you have done it right. Follow the steps written below to do so:
Step 1: Ensure that your Canon printer’s hardware has been installed properly.
The first thing you should do to repair your Canon printer is to ensure that your hardware has been installed properly. Sometimes users are unable to setup their hardware which causes their Canon printer installation to fail. However, you can check if you have performed this step correctly by going through the instructions below:
If you have checked all the things listed above and the problem still remains, you can proceed further in the guide.
Step 2: Ensure that your computer does not have a pending update.
You should check to see if your computer has a pending update and then restart your computer. If your computer’s operating system is out of date, then it might not let you complete a Canon printer installation. Follow these steps to install the pending update and restart your computer:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type “settings” and open “Update & security” from the settings application.
- Select “Windows update.”
- Check the status of your operating system and press “Check for updates.”
- Let your Windows search for any updates.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update with the help of the installer.
- Restart your computer after the process is complete.
You can also try restarting your printer and your internet router if updating and restarting your Windows does not solve the problem. Make sure you close all tabs and windows in your computer before you restart your device. If the problem remains, you can move on to the next step to resolve the issues with your Canon printer installation and to fix the printer error.
Step 3: Ensure that your devices are not over-heating.
You must also ensure that all your devices are cool. Over-heating can also cause Canon printer installation to fail. To ensure that your devices are not over-heating, follow the steps written below:
- Lightly touch your printer to gauge the temperature.
- If it feels a little too warm then press the power button to turn your printer OFF.
- Now unplug the power cable from the socket.
- Let your printer cool down for a couple of minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes have passed, connect the printer to power and turn it ON again.
- Repeat the same procedure with your computer and internet router if needed.
You can also try checking the strength of your internet connection. Look at the steps mentioned in the next section to resolve any errors due to internet.
Step 4: Ensure that you have a strong internet connection
You especially need a strong internet connection to successful complete Canon printer installation for wireless printers. Therefore, you must try and check your internet network to see if poor internet was what caused the issue. To do so, follow the steps written below:
- Check your internet connection’s speed and strength around your printer.
- Make sure that only a limited number of devices are connected to the network.
- Ensure that your computer, printer and your internet router are in the same room.
- If while checking the signal strength, you realise that the network is slow or weak, then try rebooting your router after checking that your internet plan is not due for a renewal.
Following these steps would fix your Canon printer error if a slow internet connection was the reason behind the unsuccessful Canon printer installation. If you are still unable to use your Canon printer properly then you should try following the steps mentioned under the next section of this guide or you can read our article on how to setup canon wireless printer to windows.
Step 5: Ensure that you have the correct Canon printer drivers.
Canon printer drivers are essential to every Canon printer installation and to successfully complete the installation you must ensure that you install only those Canon printer drivers that are compatible with your computer system and your printer. You should also only install Canon printer driver from official Canon website since third-party drivers are often not very compatible. If you have installed any external Canon printer driver then you can easily replace them by re-installing the official Canon printer drivers and completing your Canon printer installation. Follow the steps written below to fix your Canon printer error by re-installing Canon printer drivers:
- Open your browser application in your computer.
- Type “Canon website” in the search box and open the top search result link.
- Go to Canon’s official home page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click on the link that reads “Downloads.”
- Type your model number and check carefully before pressing enter. Entering the wrong model number could result in you downloading incompatible printer drivers.
- Find the drivers that you want to download and click on the “Download” button. Make sure that these drivers are the latest drivers available for your device.
- Wait for the download to be completed and double-click on the file to launch it.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions of the installer to complete the Canon printer driver installation.
- Close the window after the process is complete.
- Restart your PC.
If this was the reason why you were facing Canon printer error then you should check to see if that has been resolved. Check the operating system mentioned on the website properly before beginning the download process. You can face issues in the Canon printer installation if the printer driver does not matches the operating system of your computer. To fix that you can checkout our guide on how to install canon printer driver in windows.
This concludes our guide on how to fix Canon printer.
After following all the steps mentioned above, you would be able to resolve all the errors in your Canon printer installation. This should fix your Canon printer if an improper Canon printer installation was the reason of its dysfunction. In the unlikely scenario where you continue to receive an error, you should contact an expert or a technician for further diagnosis.
We hope that our guide helped you to resolve all the printer errors that could arise due to an unsuccessful Canon printer installation. Make sure that you are now only using official Canon printer drivers and not drivers from some third-party. Do not hesitate to reach out to us in case you need more help.